Environment relates to the implementation of policies and programmes relating to conservation of the country's natural resources including lakes and rivers, its biodiversity, forests and wildlife, ensuring the welfare of animals and prevention and abatement of pollution. The Ministry of environment and forest is the main governing body of the sector. Some international bodies that are related to the sector are
- United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP),
- South Asia Co-operative Environment Programme (SACEP),
- International Centre for integrated Mountain Development (ICIMOD)
The broad objectives of the Ministry are:
- Conservation and survey of flora, fauna, forests and wildlife.
- Prevention and control of pollution.
- Afforestation and regeneration of degraded areas.
- Protection of the environment and
- Ensuring the welfare of animals.
According to the tenth Five Year plan has approved an amount of Rs. 1.25 Crore by the Planning commission. The expenditure during the 10th plan viz.2002-03 to 2006-07 was Rs. 1.24 Crore. In the 11th plan Rs. 1 Crore has been allocated. The expenditure in the year 2007-08 was Rs. 1.96 Lakh. The expenditure for 2008-09, and 2009-10 are Rs. 30 Lakh and Rs. 20 Lakh respectively.
The 11th five year plan states that protection of the environment must be a central part of any sustainable inclusive growth strategy. The plan focuses on its development because of the dangers of environmental degradation have increased greatly.